Sunday, December 29, 2013

One Month Down

I would say time flies but sometimes when you are living your life in 2-3 hours increments and recovering from a c-section and you had TWO babies....somedays it can't go fast enough. We love these girls like crazy but nothing is easy about 2 newborns and trying to fatten them up requires lots of work.

Eating: When we left the NICU we kept the same 3 hour feeding schedule they were on and still continue it today. (With some 4 hour stretches at night. I am reading Babywise right now and hope to stick close to their suggested method.) We used to get so excited if the girls would finish one ounce and now they can polish off 3-4 oz every 3 hours no problem. Riley is our good eater sometimes even taking 5 oz at a time. Sloan has a nickname....Sleepy Sloan because we are constantly having to wake her up to eat and coax her thru at least a few of the feeding throughout the day to stake awake. All that matters is that they are eating and growing! They are still eating breastmilk exclusively but mostly I pump and we do bottle feeding that seems to be the best system for us.....making and being the food for 2 tiny hungry humans is no joke.


Weight: These are not the most accurate weights because we used the scale at my parents house and had my dad weigh before and then hold each of the girls. But I would guess these weights are pretty close Sloan:7 pounds 6 ounces Riley: 7 pounds 2 ounces.


Likes: The girls both seem to like bathtime...they just had their first submerged bath in the infant tub at my parents house and they were so calm during it. Without a doubt their favorite part is getting their hair washed and brushed. Sloan is enamoured with christmas tree lights (too bad now the holidays are over) and Riley is very calm and chill and likes to sit in her rock n play just kind of looking around and figuring out her hands. They love their white noise machine and sleep with it every night and the car ride to CC was pretty painless so maybe these girls will be like their mama and love sleeping in the car.

Dislikes: They HATE to sit in a dirty diaper.....even the slightest bit of wetness can bring big screams. Also, Sloan gets mighty fussy when hungry but since we are keeping them on the same schedule we have to hold her off for 20-30 mins at a time but she usually eats a lot better at that feeding rather than the ones where we have to force her to wakeup.


December was a month full of visitors and helpers thank goodness. Matt's parents were a big help and his mom made me some lactaion cookies that I would happily eat even when not breastfeeding. She did lots of night shifts and we were so grateful for her help while she was here. My mom, sister, and brother all came as well and did lots of night shifts too. I couldn't have survived this first month without family and Matt. I don't know where he gets his energy but he is always game to help even when he was back at work for a few weeks before the holiday. I picked the best life partner, I knew that before these girls were in the picture but since Nov. 27th it has only become more clear. We spent our first family of four Christmas at my parents and it was perfect. My parents kept the girls in their room and gave Matt and I some much needed rest they'll never know how much I appreciate them. (Once again mom I am so sorry for all those times I was such a shit to you.)

Matt and I still marvel at how much our life has changed in a month. How we celebrate a big baby burp or laugh at big baby poops. Newborns are sweet but we are definitely ready for the girls to be more interactive and I couldn't be more ready for them to sleep at least.....dare I say 5-6 hours in a row. That is my new years resolution....teach my kids how to sleep thru the night :) Oh and lose the rest of this baby weight.
Bebo and his girls

1st Christmas Day
4 generations 

Riley on the left and Sloan on the right (I feel like I will see this look a lot in my lifetime esp during teen years.) 


Taking pictures of 1 month old twinks is not an easy task. I feel like I should say my girls are much cuter than these pictures depict but they were already annoyed with their mom taking pictures of them by this point.  






No comments:

Post a Comment